Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lots Of Little Projects

Allyson is demonstrating what kids do when their mom wants to take a picture. This is the best shot I could get. I was experimenting with the lattice look on a table runner. It came out ok. I was trying to copy one I saw. I couldn't tell how big it was so I guessed.  Well after I made all my pieced blocks I decided that the pattern I copied, was probably made with 10" squares, not 5". So, i'll probably try it again.

 I was browsing images of quilts on google to find some inspiration for a quilt back.  I have designed the front already. I want it to have a back that could be showing on the bed. Well, I found the Swoon block and really liked it. With a little bit of searching I found that it is very similar to the Carpenters Star. So I found a pattern tutorial online for the Carpenter's Star block. I changed it  so that I wasn't using so many quarter square triangles, and instead did flying geese. As I get it finished and figured out how to do it best, I should post the directions. I should be able to finish the block tomorrow.  I wanted to finish it last night, but last night became this morning too soon.
II'm not sure if i'm going to use this block for my quilt back, or not. I figured that I could just start making them here and there and eventually I'll have enough to do something with.
And here is another version of the One Star wall hanging.  This one I made slightly larger and traded out some of the red stripes for blue.  I just have to sew on a boarder.
It is a pretty easy pattern.  I was more careful this time with my ironing so that my middle star was more accurate. I also learned how to sew Y seams.  I improvised a little since there are 5 seams, not 3. The pattern just assumes you know how to sew 5 pointed blocks together properly and have it look great.

So there are my 3 of my unfinished projects. I have a few more to start and a few more to work on. Like, my Christmas Quilt. I have to finish machine quilting it. I just haven't had the desire to FMQ (free motion quilt) lately.  I have 7 months to get it done though...

No comments: